Sunday, April 18, 2010

Kaffemik on Easter Monday





Kaffemik means a cozy gathering with coffee. Three boxes filled with cookies, fruit, popcorn, candy and many other things arrived on the helicopter on Good Friday. On Easter Monday I hosted my first Kaffemik at the school and invited the community to come down and visit the school to meet me and to see what we have been doing at the school. Many of the children came down early to help me prepare everything and to make everything look great. At one point I was worried that no one would show up. And then at 5 minutes to 2pm half the community showed up. It was wonderful and everyone was very impressed with the work that we have put into the “Minik” story. We will begin shooting outside this week and I hope to have the book complete before I leave Qaanaaq (which the next community south of Siorapaluk). By the end of the Kaffemik, everything had been eaten up. It was wonderful watching how polite the kids were, waiting so patiently to dive into the treats. Now if we were in North America…the first thing that would have disappeared would have been the candy but in the most northern community in the world … it was the pineapple that everyone desired. We take it for granted how fortunate we are to have a wide selection of fresh fruit right around the corner. A couple days before this when I was going through some of my food supplies, I found a lime that had blue mould on half of it…I was about to throw it out when I saw a little smile and sparkle in one of the kids faces. So I cut off the mould and cut it up. All the children were pleased as punch to have a slice. They love the tardy taste more than any other candy. And we all know how most adults in North America would of reacted…most would of thrown it out, some would of gagged and probably even a few parents would of called the school board, threatening to sue claiming I tried to kill their children. On the contrary the teacher thanked me for sharing.


No comments:

Post a Comment