Sunday, April 4, 2010

Poorski - Easter


Well today is Easter which is a very important holiday in Greenland. It is probably more important than Christmas. Everyone will get dressed, go to church and then have a huge feast. Finally the helicopter arrived on friday, it was two days late an it felt like the longest two days of my life. Three boxes of goodies were sent to me by the nice people from Thule airbase (especially Allen-thanks) It has 36 packages of POPCORN, coffee/kaffe, cookies, candy, tons of baby carrots, bacon, cheese and ribs. Oh and a whole pile of military baby whips as I don't have a shower that is so accessible so that is a real nice treat. I have been learning a ton of Greenlandic, the kids make me repeat things over and over until I get it right...talk about you crash course! Here are a few of my favourite words:
ersivoq - afraid (that refers to me going on a dog sled on the sea ice)
klima - arctic climate
nanoq - bear
pinnerpoq - beautiful
tuttu - caribou (mmmm love caribou)
meeraq - child
meeqqat - children
sila - climate
kaffi - coffee
qaa - come on
ataata - dad
qimmeq - dog
sinnattoq - dream
poorski - easter
nerivaa - eat
utoqqaanerusoq - elderly
inuk - person
isi - eye
sinilerpoq - fall asleep
ataata - father
festi - feast
ersiorpoq - frightened (this refers to sledding on sea ice)
inuulluarit - goodbye
aataa - grandfather
aanaa - grandmother
ukaleq - hare
uummat - heart
qilak - heaven
piniarpoq - hunt
piniartoq - seal hunter
siku - ice and ice cream
sika - smoke (which i kept getting confused and this is more slang than proper)
siallersorsuuvoq - it is raining cats and dogs (I just thought this was hilarious)
isseq - juice
kamik - handmade boots out of seal skin
arnaq - lady
illarpoq - laugh
citroni - lemon (very popular treat..if you can get it)
takuuk - look
suliaq - make
qungussutariaq - mermaid
immuk - milk (the coffee here is so strong...I always need milk and that is a big no no here)
anaana - mother

And I think that is where I will leave off. I will post the other half of the words tomorrow. As well since the helicopter arrived I will be hosting a "Kaffemik" which is a big celebration where you invite everyone over for sweets and coffee. So I am very excited about this. And finally we have been working very hard at translating the story "Minik, the little hunter." Hopefully the Greenlandic will be done today and then I hope to have it read out at the Kaffemik as the puppets have advanced and we are making a book out of the whole thing. Well I must get ready for church, it starts at 10am. All this time I was looking for the church and there is was...right in front of my eyes...literally...it is right in front of the school. Till tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment