Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Walrus hunting and sledding with the kids!

Three dog sleds took off to go walrus hunting. They must take boats with them, as walrus like to hang out on large floating chunks of ice. So they put two boats onto the sleds and a third sled followed with all the supplies. Apparently when the walrus get scared they forget that they can dive deep into the water and stay under for up to 30 minutes so they are really easy to shoot. Walrus is also the best meat to feed the dogs as it has the least amount of fat, which is really funny because by looking at them, you would think exactly the opposite. While some of the family watched them leave I got a shot of one of the elderly woman showing me her skills at using a whip. And the day ended with me sledding around with the kids. They have some pretty cool trails that wind through the community and they steer using their feet. I thought I was going to die as we would just squeeze between buildings...lol... pretty challenging maneuvering those things around, so I let the experts drive.











No comments:

Post a Comment